The oldest foundations of the current Pandhof garden date back from the late 14th century. The Pandhof connected the Dom church and the Grand Chapter House -part of the Academy Building. In addition, the Pandhof was a cemetery and a place for religious contemplation. Because it was long unclear who owned the Pandhof, residents could use the garden for their own purposes. Nut trees were planted and the courtyard was used for the storage of old cars, keeping chickens and drinking beer. In 1634 the 'Illustrious School' was founded, a school resulting from the ideas of the new Protestant Church. Because students had to walk through the Pandhof to go to the lecture rooms in the Grand Chapter House, the Pandhof became the 'wandering place of the Academy'. The nut trees were cut down and all local residents lost the right of passage. The Pandhof became property of the Utrecht University. However, who was responsible for the maintenance of the Pandhof was unclear. The degradation started. Only until 1962, there was a first garden design realised for the Pandhof -thanks to municipal architect Otto. Otto came up with the pavement of pebbelstones and the division of the garden into 23 planting areas. Unfortunately there was no clarity over the responsibility for the maintenance, which -again- lead to the deterioration of the garden. In 1975, a law student named Joke Frankenhuyzen asked the University Board permission to transform the garden into a medieval herb garden. Along with Sies Jonkman she was able to transform and maintain the garden. Led by Jonkman the garden grew out to an ornamental herb garden that we see today.